Re: hilghlighting

José Alburquerque wrote:

> The point of the docs is to explain the differences between UTF-8 (which
> is a multi-byte encoding) and single-byte encodings.

as I'm primarily linguist this was some of the first things I learned
about - chars and encoding - I was thinking constantly of the babylon
story. I'm glad there is utf now. But I have the feeling a lot of code is
still having issues.

>> I think currently most systems are utf and are using (8bit) utf by
>> default and I have never had to think about it in the past few years.
>> about 5years ago it was a nightmare
>
> What about systems not using UTF-8?  Windows systems?

all windows systems are utf (or  better say UCS)
windows became utf even before linux did - did you know?

> On Windows (using MinGW), the output is garbled:
>
> $ ./a
> A test: Test ascii
> German: Grⁿ▀ Gott!

well it's then WinGW issue and not windows.

did you try VisualC++ or so?

AFAIK string is using systems w_char or similar ...

I still think people live 10years behind the time. I'm not familiar with
MinGW. AFAIK it's redhat project to get linux code running on windows.
Perhaps you have configured your locales to the wrong one or who knows what
w_char size they are using there

I even find web pages that are still not using utf ... So I personally don't
care.

anyway thanks for the discussion

regards