Re: gtkmm 3.0 and libsigc++

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 08:48 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> But this libsigc++ issue is still an issue with gtkmm, right?
>
> well, only if you try to use multiple threads that execute gtkmm code.
> if you stick to the "all GUI (gtkmm) code is in one thread", then
> there's no issue at all. i think the problem is that some people:
>
>      a) don't like that programming model

But then they are on their own, and I guess that libsigc++ won't be the
end of their problems. They should do what we (and GTK+) recommend.

This thread started with "significantly affect the usefulness of the C++
bindings", which now doesn't seem so true.

>      b) want to use sigc++ for things other than interacting with
> gtkmm and involving multiple threads
>
> my answer to both is "don't".

Well, I'm not against fixing libsigc++ in general. It is hard to depend
on boost. But I don't feel that it's essential to fix these for gtkmm.

If someone does the work, it would be a good time to break the ABI, of
course.
www.openismus.com