Running language, again...

Hello,

I know that questions related about languages are always difficult to
explain & manage...

Indeed, language is an environmental question. For that, in GNU/Linux
systems, we have
LANG and LANGUAGE (among others like LC...) enviroment variables.
Moreover, display managers
like GDM left another variables as GDM_LANG, in which the system
stores our selected session
language. Programms launched after this moment could have -I think-
the way to know this
preferred language, mainly, because the system applies locales, if so...

Glib::getenv() provides us a way to access to these vars, but maybe
it's not the best portable
way to discover these values.

I simply ask you if there is a more portable mechanism to know the
environmental language, for
the one side, and then to know if it works with an standard
equivalence language list for each code.

Any idea...

S.