Re: Gtkmm Windows Runtime Installer - Silent Option

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 03:22 -1000, John Hobbs wrote:
> > If you want to call the gtkmm installer from an application installer, I
> > think that's not an intended use of the gtkmm installer. The wiki page
> > recommends that you just ship the files because it's a simple install.
>
> I am calling it from another application installer, and I think for a
> good reason.  A silent install can check and abort or update if it is
> already installed, where as if I distribute the files with my package
> I can end up with multiple copies of the same libraries in different
> spots all over the machine, not something I generally try to do too
> much.  It's just my approach, but it makes sense to me.

But the DLLs should be installed next to your application, so you can
only have multiple copies of the DLLs if you have multiple copies of
your application, or if you want them because you have (single installs
of) multiple applications.

> > And why do we need to set PATH? And why would we not want to set it?
>
> The non-silent installer has the default option to add the libs to the
> PATH, but it doesn't do that on a silent install.  If you are
> installing libs for the system in a general way, adding to the PATH
> would be a nice way to let the system know where they are, and the
> default can be not to set it, but a switch would be nice.
>
> I would be more than happy to change the NSIS script myself and submit
> a patch.  I don't see why this is an issue, it's simply adding a
> feature that is easy and causes no harm at all, except maybe a few
> more lines in SVN.

Yet it seems to be encouraging you to do the opposite of what we advise
you to do - put the DLLs next to your application. That's harm.