Re: Gtkmm Windows Runtime Installer - Silent Option

> Why do you need this? What is the purpose of the "silent" install? You
> mentioned it on the wiki page but didn't say why anybody would want to
> use it.

A silent, non-interactive install is good for deploying from another
installer, remotely deploying to a whole bunch of machines at once, or
packing into an OS install routine using something like Unattended
[1].

> If you want to call the gtkmm installer from an application installer, I
> think that's not an intended use of the gtkmm installer. The wiki page
> recommends that you just ship the files because it's a simple install.

I am calling it from another application installer, and I think for a
good reason.  A silent install can check and abort or update if it is
already installed, where as if I distribute the files with my package
I can end up with multiple copies of the same libraries in different
spots all over the machine, not something I generally try to do too
much.  It's just my approach, but it makes sense to me.

> And why do we need to set PATH? And why would we not want to set it?

The non-silent installer has the default option to add the libs to the
PATH, but it doesn't do that on a silent install.  If you are
installing libs for the system in a general way, adding to the PATH
would be a nice way to let the system know where they are, and the
default can be not to set it, but a switch would be nice.

I would be more than happy to change the NSIS script myself and submit
a patch.  I don't see why this is an issue, it's simply adding a
feature that is easy and causes no harm at all, except maybe a few
more lines in SVN.  I'm just asking that if I do update it, would
Armin mind updating the packages so that I don't have to compile Gtkmm
myself.

[1] http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

- John Hobbs

john velvetcache org