Re: gtkmm binaries for win32

Am Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:54:50 -0500 schrieb Jonathon Jongsma:

> 2008/3/26 Igor Gorbounov <igorbounov topazelectro ru>:
> > Andreas Volz пишет:
> >  > [...]
> >
> > > That worked great. Thanks.
> >  >
> >  > Some feedback:
> >  >
> >  > - gladewin32 should add at least a static HTML page. I thought
> >  > the project is dead.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  [...]
> >  The gtkmm installer from that site is awfully outdated. It seems
> > like nobody is maintaining gtkmm for win32 for about a year.
> >     Igor Gorbounov
>
> Yes, I haven't seen Cedric around here for a little while now.  If
> anybody else wants to jump in and help with win32 support for gtkmm,
> it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in win32 for my current project. But I've no windows on
my system, so I've to compile all in VirtualBox. This is a real pain
because of compile speed! So I've a big interest to support the cross
compilation support of gtkmm for win32 (maybe OS X later).

I know there're some more or less complete websites about cross
compiling gtk(mm), but they're not complete. I miss a really official
and well done tutorial about cross compiling gtkmm. Here are some
questions and traps I found while trying to cross compile:

- Which versions of the specific libraries should be used? Which one
are tested and verified to build for win32 or a cross compiler? Should
I use newer (the newest?) packages from each project?

- From which source all sources should be used? There're some packages
on gnuwin32.sf.net that are more or less up-to-date. But they may
contain some win32 patches.

- Which configure options should be used? Which one are verified to
build/work on win32? For example pango has some configure options that
were unclear on win32 for me.

- I had to patch some packages like zlib, jpeg or libpng to get them
working in a cross compiler. Should we maintain these patches or
upstream them?

- In many cases people like to build a bundle for win32 with all
libraries and stuff included. It should be described very well which
files are needed and which files could be omit.

- The default look and feel is really ugly compared to Linux. Many
settings that I configure with Gnome and gconf aren't there in win32.
For example the toolbar icon style/theme (text below the icons,...).

regards
Andreas