Re: Problems building 2.0 API; gtkmmproc error after update

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 15:46 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 23:43 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I thought I might have a quick look at a compile problem with the old
> >> API (gtkmm version 2.2.12) on my Mac. Details are on
> >> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13516, but simply
> >> put, I get the error
> >>
> >> notebook.cc: In static member function 'static void Gtk::Notebook_Class::class_init_function(void*, void*)':
> >> notebook.cc:684: error: invalid conversion from 'void (*)(GtkNotebook*, gint)' to 'gboolean (*)(GtkNotebook*, gint)'
> >>

> > This was maybe a (annoying) change in GTK+ (which version are you
> > using?) But that's quite an old version so I can't remember the details.
> >
> Yeah, it may seem like the signal handler return types changed at some
> point, although I though they shouldn't based on the fact that GTK+ is
> supposed to have a completely stable API...

There have been very tiny mistakes like this in the past, and small
differences of opinion about what is public API and what is a break.
gtkmm only notices them because we use almost the whole API.

> I'm not sure what GTK+ version I tried to build with, as I'm on a
> different machine now, but I would assume it was more or less the latest
> and greatest. What version I had last time it worked is probably
> impossible to tell now...
> > Can't you just use a newer version of gtkmm?
> >
> That's not really the question here. We're talking about a special build
> system on MacOS X, which is supposed to support a "package" for the
> Gtkmm 2.0 API, only now this support is broken. There's still a question
> of whether anybody will actually use it, of course, but gtk and gtkmm
> 1.2 are also supported, if you know what I'm saying...
>
> In any case, my question is really what I generally need to change (i.e.
> which source files etc.) in order to fix problems like this. Is there
> some sort of guideline etc?

In this case you should probably just patch the generated .h/cc files.

www.openismus.com