Re: How to make a simple selector item

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon jongsma gmail com> wrote :

This is a very common mis-understanding.  The 2.4 you see is actually
part of the library name and indicates the API/ABI version.
Basically, the API/ABI of gtkmm was broken between version 2.2 and
2.4, but hasn't been broken since then, so all new releases are
backwards compatible with the 2.4 release.  And the ListViewText was
added in gtkmm-2.4 version 2.10.  Does that make sense?  I know it's
rather confusing, but gtkmm (and other gnome platform libraries) tend
to add an api version number to their name when API breaks so that
they can be installed in parallell.  Gtk+ also does this, but hasn't
broken API since 2.0, so the newest version of GTK is called gtk+-2.0
version 2.10.x.

Right, OK. But the Gtk documentation makes it a LOT clearer which version of GTK-2.0 is referred to (and I think the common 2.0 is much less confusing than 2.4 anyway). In particular, the GTK documentation explicitly declares itself as for version 2.12 and only mentions 2.0 in the context of "lots of files and directories are called that".

For another useful hint, the Python documentation (which doesn't do the confusing thing in the first place) takes to trouble to note on each class/method/library which version it appeared in (unless it was there in 1.6, which is ancient history now).

Just a couple of thoughts for the documentation maintainers, on how to reduce the common-ness of this misunderstanding.
--
Rob Pearce                       http://www.bdt-home.demon.co.uk

The contents of this | Windows NT crashed.
message are purely   | I am the Blue Screen of Death.
my opinion. Don't    | No one hears your screams.
believe a word.      |