Re: performance control?

oedipus <alexander arnoldt gmx de> writes:

> How I am able to do in gtkmm performance control? I got some application,
> which is not that small. I create images in a size about 3000x2000 pixels
> using pixel buffers. So far everything what I included runs. But it makes my
> system rely slowly. And with a look at my performance monitor, I always see
> that the cpu load is at a maximum. How can I optimize my application that it
> is running smoothly? In gimp for example you can create images of the same
> size but you don’t have any performance problems.

Some other suggestions for profilers are Sysprof and Valgrind, you
could also look here:

  http://live.gnome.org/GnomePerformance

There are some hints in:

  http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/docs/2005-GNOME-Summit/html/index.html

It's important that you first figure out where your program is
spending its time. Think about the fact that every time you do
something that requires the code to touch all pixels, you're going
through 3000x2000x4 bytes (if RGBA) or possible 24.000.000 iterations
of a loop.

I've personally had good luck with splitting up large images in
smaller tiles because you often only need to touch small parts of the
complete image at the time. It's good for the CPU level 2 cache too.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.iola.dk/