Re: glademm

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 09:53 -0600, John Taber wrote:
> Yeah, I call the whole gtkmm situation "Anti-RAD" which is okay if you
> do not have any time pressure or much GUI but unproductive/uncompetitive
> if you are in a commercial environment with a lot of GUI.  Check out
> Anjuta 2 with the glade plug-in - it is headed in the right direction,
> but seems a ways off for production use.
>
> btw I've used all these toolkits.  Qt and FLTK have their advantages but
> are only what I call "Semi-RAD".  Delphi and VisualStudio.Net are indeed
> very "RAD" but have their own limitations (no MVC separation, Windows
> only, not the nice layout manager).  Like many things Apple, XCode seems
> the way programming ought to be - but sadly it's only for Apple.
>
> Of course "real" programmers say they are just as productive in vi but,
> in actuality, the overall resulting low productivity is why more and
> more coding is being "offshored" to low cost areas.  Until we have a
> gtkmm, with an enhanced Anjuta 2, with some UML like capabilities, with
> gtkmm wrapped gtk basic extras (like gtkhtml or mozembed), and with the
> nice documentation of XFC, well, pick your poison.

depends entirely on what kind of programming is being done. if you're
doing regular day-to-day business programming, writing replicants of
existing standard business or SOHO productivity apps, then your
observations may be correct.

but there is lots of other kinds of software out there for which your
observations don't apply, or don't apply to the same extent.

i've seen XCode, and it would have provided very little of any value to
my digital audio workstation development process.

--p