Re: glademm

Yeah, I call the whole gtkmm situation "Anti-RAD" which is okay if you do not have any time pressure or much GUI but unproductive/uncompetitive if you are in a commercial environment with a lot of GUI. Check out Anjuta 2 with the glade plug-in - it is headed in the right direction, but seems a ways off for production use.

btw I've used all these toolkits. Qt and FLTK have their advantages but are only what I call "Semi-RAD". Delphi and VisualStudio.Net are indeed very "RAD" but have their own limitations (no MVC separation, Windows only, not the nice layout manager). Like many things Apple, XCode seems the way programming ought to be - but sadly it's only for Apple.

Of course "real" programmers say they are just as productive in vi but, in actuality, the overall resulting low productivity is why more and more coding is being "offshored" to low cost areas. Until we have a gtkmm, with an enhanced Anjuta 2, with some UML like capabilities, with gtkmm wrapped gtk basic extras (like gtkhtml or mozembed), and with the nice documentation of XFC, well, pick your poison.

Foster, Gareth wrote:
It's an ordeal. You got to figure, if glademm hasn't been

included in FC4 extras, there

must be a reason for that. The glademm project seems dead.

I'm trying to

rally a few good men to give it a jump start. I can't

imagine I'm the only

one left using glademm, and I can't do any gui programming

without a gui

builder, and I insist in doing it in C++. If I can't get it

to compile,

I'll have to move to qt or fltk.

no your not the only one I'm the same

The question to ask yourself is, is libglademm relly that bad? I used to
work with Delphi, where code was generated for me and I filled in the stubs,
just like glademm, the slight change of mindset (glademm -> libglademm) was
troublesome, but you just have to get stuck in and work the way the rest of
the Gnome community does (where they have good reason of course).

Try not to let sentiments such as "well, I always worked that way on
Windows" stop you from using gtk/glade.

It's the same story with IDE managed projects and Autotools really. Anyway,
it is from where I am sitting now, hopefully my experience of the transition
will be of value to you.

Gaz