Re: glademm

>On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 09:53 -0600, John Taber wrote:
>> Yeah, I call the whole gtkmm situation "Anti-RAD" which is okay if you
>> do not have any time pressure or much GUI but unproductive/uncompetitive
>> if you are in a commercial environment with a lot of GUI.  Check out
>> Anjuta 2 with the glade plug-in - it is headed in the right direction,
>> but seems a ways off for production use.
>>
>> btw I've used all these toolkits.  Qt and FLTK have their advantages but
>> are only what I call "Semi-RAD".  Delphi and VisualStudio.Net are indeed
>> very "RAD" but have their own limitations (no MVC separation, Windows
>> only, not the nice layout manager).  Like many things Apple, XCode seems
>> the way programming ought to be - but sadly it's only for Apple.
>>
>> Of course "real" programmers say they are just as productive in vi but,
>> in actuality, the overall resulting low productivity is why more and
>> more coding is being "offshored" to low cost areas.  Until we have a
>> gtkmm, with an enhanced Anjuta 2, with some UML like capabilities, with
>> gtkmm wrapped gtk basic extras (like gtkhtml or mozembed), and with the
>> nice documentation of XFC, well, pick your poison.
>
>depends entirely on what kind of programming is being done. if you're
>doing regular day-to-day business programming, writing replicants of
>existing standard business or SOHO productivity apps, then your
>observations may be correct.
>
>but there is lots of other kinds of software out there for which your
>observations don't apply, or don't apply to the same extent.
>
>i've seen XCode, and it would have provided very little of any value to
>my digital audio workstation development process.
>
>--p

Besides, isn't that the point of having multiple different libraries? They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Glade/Gtkmm may not be the most efficient to program, but it provides a consistency among Gnome applications which I have come to appreciate. I've gotten to the point that it really irks me to have to use a program that doesn't follow Gnome's HIG somewhat or take advantage of the Gtk widgets.

It's all about preference. That's what brought me to Linux in the 1st place.

---
Andrew Krause
andrew openldev org
www.openldev.org