Re: [gtkmm] Win32 development installation instructions

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:49:01 +0100
Cedric Gustin <cedric gustin swing be> wrote:

> At 12:38 PM 3/10/2004, Daniel Sundberg wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems to me that there are at least 4 different possible
> > > configurations that people might mean when they loosely refer to
> > > "cygwin" under Windows.
> > >

> >I agree. And the lack of recommendations from developers makes it even
> >harder for developers wanting to port their applications to win32. I still
> >havn't found a guide on how to setup everything (including gettext, libxml
> >and more) so that it works out of the box. You always have to do some
> >tweaking...
>
> Exactly. Even though I tried to make it clear in the gtkmm/README.win32
> file that I was using cygwin+mingw32 (config 3) to compile gtkmm on win32,
> I decided not to go into lengthly, step by step details, precisely because
> of the many different configurations (+ Dev-C++ !!!).

Anyway, I still haven't been able to set up a properly configured development environment on my windows XP system. If I install cygwin, mingw, gtk+ and gtkmm according to the instructions on the url discussed earlier aclocal does not work complaining about "no Autoconf/General.pm in @INC". If try the msys approach pkg-config does not seem to work. Executing "pkg-config gtkmm-2.0 --modversion" in msys geives me the following error message "Must specify package on command line"... I thought I just did that.

Maybe I could do without aclocal/autoconf/automake but I am not totally sure about that. I would really like to have them working on windows too... I need some new ideas... This shouldn't really be this hard!

Regards
Daniel Sundberg