Re: [gtkmm] Doing a 'catch-code' library for the propesed functionality cuts in SigC++

Hi!

I'm really sorry being so destructive in that discussion. Still I want
to express my opinion about this plan:

The six little adaptor classes that are included in libsigc++ 1.1 at the
moment provide _totally adequate_ functionality for all situations where
you can't directly connect a function to a signal because of differences
in the number and/or type of arguments and/or the return type.

Even though I think of these adaptors as an integral part of libsigc++
I understand that inside the main library, they make it more difficult to
maintain. But: I STRONGLY OPPOSE THE IDEA TO _SPLIT_ THIS FUNCTIONALITY INTO
DIFFERENT LIBS. Maybe some users don't use adaptors at all, but those who
make use of them need let's say three out of six in one program - but for
each program three different ones. THERE ARE NOT _THE_ TWO MOST NEEDED
ADAPTORS THAT SHOULD STAY IN THE MAIN LIB WHEN OTHERS ARE REMOVED.

The ideal solution in my opinion would be to restructure the code: make a
subdirectory 'adaptors' that hold all six adaptors classes. As a temporary
solution that allows a quicker release we could have a 'libsigc-adaptors'
library.

A 'LIBSIGC-EXTRA' library, however, THAT HOLDS TONS OF OTHER STUFF like
Andreas proposes WOULD BE OVERKILL for all users that just want to use
adaptors. Maintainability might win but usability in my opinion suffers
from this plan!

Regards,

  Martin