Re: [gtkmm] UTF8 filenames? (Was One thing we didn't really discuss: ustring vs string)

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 01:03:40AM +0200, Jarek Dukat wrote:

> Actually it is still broken in 2.0.5 and 2.0.6 but not as much as in
> previous versions :)
>
> I have most partitions mounted with ISO-8859-2 encoding but one of them is
> UTF-8 and Gtk's file dialog doesn't display it's files correctly.

This is a different problem: I have a directory name, containing an
umlaut (LANG variable and filesystem use the ISO-8859-1 encoding). This
directory is not shown in the gtk+ file dialog and a warning is emitted
to the console, whenever I try listing a directory with files containing
umlauts. This can be worked around by setting the environment variable
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES.

I guess the main problem is that it is not possible for gtk+ to
determine the encoding used on a particular file system, so it has to
blindly assume an encoding of UTF-8 (or of the native encoding if
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES is set). I think, the gtk+ people could give you more
information about these problems.

 - Sebastian