Re: [gtkmm] UTF8 filenames? (Was One thing we didn't really discuss: ustring vs string)

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 18:09, Michael Babcock wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> [snip]
> > 1. We currently use Glib::ustring whenever we are not _certain_ that the
> > string could never be UTF8. Filenames can probably never be UTF8 so they
> > should be std::string. Others might have more expertise.
>
> Why can filenames never be UTF8? I thought one of the reasons for
> creating UTF8 was to be able to use Unicode in Unix filenames, avoiding
> the null-terminated string problems of using a 16-bit wide character
> Unicode encoding.

At the moment we use std::string in FileSelection::get_filename().
I seem to remember Daniel dealing with this thoroughly and making some
appropriate decision, but this doesn't mean much to me:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtkfileselection.html#gtk-file-selection-get-filename

Please discuss.

murrayc usa net