Re: [gtkmm] UTF8 filenames? (Was One thing we didn't really discuss: ustring vs string)

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 18:02, Michael Babcock wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> > At the moment we use std::string in FileSelection::get_filename().
> > I seem to remember Daniel dealing with this thoroughly and making some
> > appropriate decision, but this doesn't mean much to me:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtkfileselection.html#gtk-file-selection-get-filename
> >
> > Please discuss.
> >

> Okay, as long as std::string can contain a UTF8 string (and I see no
> reason why it can't, it can store all 8-bit characters), this should be
> fine. That page seems to be implying that the filename is in another
> encoding (perhaps based on the global system locale) which you should
> then convert to UTF8 with g_filename_to_utf8. However the filename could
> also already be in UTF8 of course, in which case that conversion should
> still work and do nothing. In my opinion global Unix locales are to be
> worked around, not used, and the only sane ones use utf8, but that's
> another subject.

This doesn't mean much to me.

But this, from ChangeLog suggests that Daniel knew what he was doing:

2002-06-15  Daniel Elstner  <daniel elstner gmx net>

	* gtk/src/fileselection.hg (set_filename): Change the filename
	argument type to std::string.  The get_filename/set_filename
	inconsistency has been fixed in GTK+ 2.0.4.

Daniel, are you around?

murrayc usa net