Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] patch to allow use with OS X Screen Sharing

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:36:56PM -0400, Jin Choi wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> > tightvncviewer probably explicitly asks for a reduced colour depth /
> > pixel
> > format rather than accepting the VNC server's default settings. This
> > can
> > have a noticable impact over bandwidth limited links
>
> That doesn't appear to be what's going on. It is using the default
> 32bpp format, and a whole-screen load is sub-second with
> xtightvncviewer. With vinagre, you can see the screen load in strips,
> the whole screen load takes about 10 seconds or so. Window moves lag
> about five seconds, whereas with tightvnc there is sub-second lag.

I've never seen any behaviour that bad even over really slow links. It
is very unexpected.  If you have time to run some tests it'd be good
to re-compile GTK-VNC with 'configure --enable-debug' and then use
the 'examples/gvncviewer' program & capture the debug messages sent
to stderr.

> It does report that it is "Using shared memory PutImage". Would this
> make a difference?

Nothing that you would notice.

Dan.
--