Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] patch to allow use with OS X Screen Sharing

Peter Rosin wrote:
Daniel P. Berrange skrev:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 03:58:25PM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:
Em Ter, 2008-04-01 às 09:24 -0300, Jonh Wendell escreveu:

It seems AppleVNCServer advertises RFB 003.889, which would indicate that it speaks RFB 3.8, but really only speaks some variant of RFB 3.3.
Hi, folks. There's a bug around[1] complaining that vinagre doesn't
support RFB "004.000". Can I also workaround this to make it work as
003.003?

[1]-https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vinagre/+bug/206227
That bug claims xvnc4viewer supports the AdderLink server, so I looked at
their client code. They don't have an explicit workaround for this server.
Their logic is simply:

   if version < 3.3
        close the connection
   else if  version >= 3.3 and < 3.8
        use version 3.3
   else if version >= 3.8
        use version 3.8

So the last branch handles the 4.0 version number by pretending it is
version 3.8

There is no 4.0 protocol version so that server is broken.

The spec is quite clear here, it's all in section 6.1.1. The server
starts by saying the *highest* protocol version it supports. So, if the
server says 4.0, it is *intended* that the client say 3.8 if that is the
highest the client supports. It is then up to the server to close the
connection if it can't deal with 3.8. So, there is no "pretending"
involved (except for UltraVNC (3.4, 3.6) and Apple (3.889), as they both
blatantly break the protocol version negotiation).

I don't disagree with you that we should fall back to 3.8 if we encounter something > 3.8.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Peter