Re: Gtk2::ComboBox with a dummy entry

Hmm, didn't think of a tooltip - that just might work :)

Ta,
MB

On 1/30/07, A. Pagaltzis <pagaltzis gmx de> wrote:
* Matthew Braid <ptkperl mdb id au> [2007-01-30 12:30]:
> Its actually a request from 'on-high' - apparently the menu
> button I _was_ using didn't 'fit in' with other combo boxes on
> the same screen.

You have my condolences…

> I'd be more than happy with a 'its not possible' answer - much
> less work for me. And then I can point to it and say 'smarter
> people than I told me so' ;)

Well, I doubt it's completely impossible, but noone envisioned a
need for such controls so you'll have to build up behaviour from
scratch for at least *some* part of it.

I'd tell your bosses it will probably take inordinate amounts of
time (expensive up-front), the result will likely be be buggy for
unusual ways of interacting with the control (unpredictable
additional debugging costs), and you will have to maintain the
code forever after (ongoing upkeep cost). If that doesn't
dissuade them, I don't know what will. :-)

If they don't want a label on the form because it would break the
look of the interface, and they really don't want the button, I'd
say ask them if a combobox with a tooltip wouldn't suffice.

Regards,