Re: Gtk2::ComboBox with a dummy entry

* Matthew Braid <ptkperl mdb id au> [2007-01-30 12:30]:
Its actually a request from 'on-high' - apparently the menu
button I _was_ using didn't 'fit in' with other combo boxes on
the same screen.

You have my condolencesâ

I'd be more than happy with a 'its not possible' answer - much
less work for me. And then I can point to it and say 'smarter
people than I told me so' ;)

Well, I doubt itâs completely impossible, but noone envisioned a
need for such controls so youâll have to build up behaviour from
scratch for at least *some* part of it.

Iâd tell your bosses it will probably take inordinate amounts of
time (expensive up-front), the result will likely be be buggy for
unusual ways of interacting with the control (unpredictable
additional debugging costs), and you will have to maintain the
code forever after (ongoing upkeep cost). If that doesnât
dissuade them, I donât know what will. :-)

If they donât want a label on the form because it would break the
look of the interface, and they really donât want the button, Iâd
say ask them if a combobox with a tooltip wouldnât suffice.

Regards,