Re: IDE

Ratcliffe, Jeffrey (Peters) wrote:

Sorry for this being slightly off-topic, but:

Are any of you guys using an IDE?

For want of anything better, I am using nedit, which looks foul on Ubuntu Dapper, but is a miles better
editor than gedit.

I tried out Eclipse + EPIC, but the editor was nowhere near as nice as nedit and I could only get Perl syntax
highlighting if the file was .pl.

And I haven't found anything else of note.

Apart from xemacs, which I understand has some nice Perl features, but I loath the interface almost as much
as vi.

What killer Perl IDE have I missed?

Jeff

I've tried out various incarnations of Eclipse and EPIC. It's nowhere near being ready yet, but looks promising.

The only thing I've found that doesn't absolutely bite is ActiveState's Komodo. A license to do open-source only work is about $25, which really is quite reasonable. They're constantly updating it, and my license which I bought quite some time ago indeed is still good for the latest download. It's also a very nice product - good debugging, object inspection, etc. I'd be lost without it to be honest. A couple of other points:

- A single license for a single developer ( can be installed on multiple PCs )
- One license covers Linux, Windows & OS-X versions
- Decent tech support in forums
- One IDE for many, many languages ( for me, Perl, PHP, XML, HTML )

My main complaint is that it's quite slow. It uses Mozilla's XUL ( in combination with Gtk2 ) for the GUI, and the result is ... pretty damned slow, but usable.

Sorry about the ActiveState marketing, but it really is a good product. I am very interested in hearing about alternatives though - in particular if someone has EPIC working somewhat better than I do.

Dan