Re: can we combile gtk2-perl with gtkmm in an application?

On Mar 25, 2006, at 8:03 PM, Mitchell Laks wrote:

I have read about the idea of splitting the functionality so that the core
user interface issues are controlled via a gui that is designed with a
scripting language like perl, and thus can be easily customized, while the parts of the application such as the opengl window that will deal with the display images would be done in C++ for speed. People need to load over 1000 images at a time and I have had difficulties with java applications being too
slow for that aspect of the program.

How had is it to make an application with the central Object being gtkmm
object.

Ideal would be high level integration with the gtk-perl interface, but I could even survive perhaps with sending signals between somewhat "independent"
applications...

To get this high level of integration, you will basically wind up writing bindings for your application's objects. So long as your application's objects are based on GObject, this will be very, very easy, because you can use the extensive infrastructure of Gtk2-Perl. Otherwise, you'll have more work to do.

Personally, i have found it easier to write a C library containing the core functionality (image loading, processing, analysis, display, and storing) in GObject-based C libraries, then bind these libraries to perl, and write the application itself in perl. The application logic is very easy to change, and the performance-critical stuff is all under the hood. By using C libraries from perl you avoid many issues involved in embedding a perl interpreter in a C program, and make it possible to create a whole suite of applications using the same underlying libraries.

I have never tried binding gtkmm code to perl. In theory, it should be possible, but i have not done it, and don't know enough of the dirty details of gtkmm to know if there would be any problems.

You may want to have a look through the "Binding Developers" section of http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/ . We're also available in #gtk-perl on irc.gnome.org if you want to chat. (Be patient, we're all in different timezones.)

--
Jolt is my co-pilot.
  -- Slogan on a giant paper airplane hung in Lobby 7 at MIT.