can we combile gtk2-perl with gtkmm in an application?

Hi,

I am designing an open source application to display medical images (MRI and
CT etc).

I have read about the idea of splitting the functionality so that the core
user interface issues are controlled via a gui that is designed with a
scripting language like perl, and thus can be easily customized, while the
parts of the application such as the opengl window that will deal with the
display images would be done in C++ for speed. People need to load over 1000
images at a time and I have had difficulties with java applications being too
slow for that aspect of the program.

How had is it to make an application with the central Object being gtkmm
object.

Ideal would be high level integration with the gtk-perl interface, but I could
even survive perhaps with sending signals between somewhat "independent"
applications...

Mitchell