Re: can we combile gtk2-perl with gtkmm in an application?

Mitchell Laks wrote:
Hi,

I am designing an open source application to display medical images (MRI and CT etc).

Hi, I've been working on Gtk2::Ex::Geo modules, where a central functionality is to display geospatial data.

I have read about the idea of splitting the functionality so that the core user interface issues are controlled via a gui that is designed with a scripting language like perl, and thus can be easily customized, while the parts of the application such as the opengl window that will deal with the display images would be done in C++ for speed. People need to load over 1000 images at a time and I have had difficulties with java applications being too slow for that aspect of the program.

Surely the lowest level of making the images is fastest done with C or perhaps C++, but I guess in this case the speed of disk and network (are those images on a network disk?) and amount of memory (are those images to be open at the same time?) are important. But in general I think it is very sensible to divide the functionality between Perl and C, it makes many things much easier.

'So far I've been looking at only a few images but in near future I expect to work with spatio-temporal data and then the number of images increases substantially.

How had is it to make an application with the central Object being gtkmm object.

I'm a bit puzzled with this. I haven't used gtkmm at all, in fact I had to look it up now to see what it is. I've been using simple gdk pixbufs, which are easy to make and easy to use in GUI (although the memory management took a while to learn). Right now I'm considering starting to use Cairo and Cairo objects as the central image.

Ideal would be high level integration with the gtk-perl interface, but I could even survive perhaps with sending signals between somewhat "independent" applications...

What kind of functionality do people want from the software? Compare images? Overlay them? Zoom in/out? See animations?

Ari

Mitchell