Re: Placement of popup ( CellRendererDate from examples )

On 9/7/05, Jan Hudec <bulb ucw cz> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 12:01:53 +1000, Daniel Kasak wrote:
Elijah Newren wrote:
On 9/5/05, Daniel Kasak <dkasak nusconsulting com au> wrote:
Elijah Newren wrote:
I don't think this is a WM bug. The WM ( in this case,
Enlightenment-0.17 ) is doing exactly what the code says - aligning the
top-right of the popup with the bottom-right of the cell. The problem is
in the logic of the positioning of the popup. I'm almost done on a
solution.

Ooops, I missed the part where you were manually positioning it.
Yeah, that's a tough call on whether the WM should follow that or
force the window onscreen, so it's not clear which is right.

I disagree that it's a tough call. If an app requests to be drawn at a
particular position, then the only valid action on the part of the WM is
to do just that. Consider an app that starts off-screen and scrolls
onscreen. Maybe this is a tacky example, but it's perfectly valid. No,
actually, here's a not-so-tacky example - an OS-X like starter bar :)

Isn't popoup an OverrideRedirect window?

If it is, than window manager just can't do anything about it, because it
simply does not know about it.

Yes, if it is, you're right.  For some reason I just assumed it was a
dialog window; don't know why.  Any other blunders I made besides
missing the manual positioning bit and the likely case that the window
is override-redirect?  :-/