Re: simplelist speed

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 21:57, Dan Espen wrote:
Hi,

I've ported a stock tracking program from gtk1 to gtk2.
The main part of the window has about 200 'markup' cells.

I needed to color the foreground of individual cells
and the background of some rows.  I used pango markup
for the foreground and cell_data_func to  color
the background.

On my 400MHz home machine, I can peg the CPU meter by
moving the pointer over the window.
When I switch to the desk that shows 2 instances of
this program the text takes about 5 seconds to appear.

If I disable the cell data func, its faster but not
by much, maybe 20%.

With Gtk1 Clists, I never saw any delays.

i would guess the slowdown is due to the ties that create SimpleLists,
but i'm not certain. if that's the case the solution is not to use
simple list. if you managed to do the custom coloring stuff you
mentioned you shouldn't have too much trouble doing the liststore|view
setup stuff yourself, just use SimpleList and the examples/tests to show
the way. i would suspect this would do away with your slowdown. the
other possibility would be the callback/signal wrapping code, but i'd be
surprised if that was the bottleneck. using one of the perl profiling
methods may give you an answer if simpler tests don't.

--
-rm
http://www.neces.com/