Re: Using PAR with gtk2 on MS Windows

Stephan Brunner wrote:

Hello out there,

with PAR (par.perl.org), it is possible to create self-contained .exe-files of
perl scripts that run on a Windows desktop without any Perl installed
(successfully proven, for example, by the Perl/Tk app MaPiVi
(mapivi.sourceforge.net/mapivi.shtml)).

I would very much like to create such a self-contained .exe-file of my own
gtk2-perl application, but everything I got so far still depends on an
installation of the Glib- and Gtk2-libraries. I understand that, because
those libraries aren't really "Perl" and therefore probably not taken into
account by PAR.
Anyway, the people I want to test my application really won't install anything
more than a .exe-file:-((

How about providing installers for Gtk2 and then wrapping the whole
thing up in a batch script that installs Gtk2 and then your app? I
haven't tried the PAR approach, but I've done limited testing with
various ways of getting Gtk2-Perl running under Windows here at work.

The method I finally settled down with is to get all the various
individual installers from
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html and install them on a
test box, in C:\usr ... you'll have to add C:\usr\bin to the Windows
PATH environment variable ( Control Panel, System, Advanced, Environment
Variables ) for things to work. I don't know how you'd script this sort
of thing, but I assume it's possible. Alternatively, you can add this
location ( and the location of the Perl binary if necessary ) to a batch
script that starts your application. This method worked OK for my test
environment, but using the Gtk2 installer may be less hair-raising,
especially if you're deploying externally. I think the installer sets
the environment variables for you.

As a bonus, you could give them a Gimp installer too :)

If you *really* object to using a batch file, I may be able to hunt down
a windows exe that does this sort of thing.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer