Re: spec files and TreeIter docs

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 21:15, Carl Nygard wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 20:40, Ross McFarland wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 19:22, Carl Nygard wrote:

How to get Makefile.PL to create a spec file, or do I have to do that
myself?  I just want to build an rpm easily.  Any clues?

the easiest thing to do is:
    perl Makefile.PL
    make dist-srpms
that should build a src rpm and put it in ~/rpms/ you can do whatever
you want from there. there's also a make dist-rpms target, but it can be
pretty flaky.

Also doesn't work.  grep rpm Makefile returns nothing.  grep dist
Makefile shows nothing related to rpms, just tarball distribs.

the magic happens in Glib::MakeHelper::postamble_rpms all of the
Makefile.PL's call it with something like this:

        . Glib::MakeHelper->postamble_rpms (
           GNOME_WNCK => $build_reqs{'Wnck'},
           PERL_EXTUTILS_DEPENDS =>
$build_reqs{'perl-ExtUtils-Depends'},
           PERL_EXTUTILS_PKGCONFIG =>
$build_reqs{'perl-ExtUtils-PkgConfig'},
           PERL_GLIB => $build_reqs{'perl-Glib'},
           PERL_GTK => $build_reqs{'perl-Gtk2'});

if you look at the code in MakeHelper you'll see the only way the rpms
stuff doesn't happen is if you're on win32. this code has been there
since the beginning.

i get these hits for rpms:

$ grep rpms Gtk2/Makefile
RPMS_DIR=$(HOME)/rpms
dist-rpms :: Makefile dist perl-$(DISTNAME).spec $(RPMS_DIR)/
dist-srpms :: Makefile dist perl-$(DISTNAME).spec $(RPMS_DIR)/

Is there some secret I'm missing?  Even perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker
doesn't say anything about rpm files.

ExtUtils::MakeMaker is an official perl module that we have nothing to
do with. all of the rpm stuff is done by use and modules that we own and
is somewhat specific to our situations. MakeMaker works on windows,
unix, linux, Mac, etc. it wouldn't be it's place to know anything about
rpms.

--
-rm
http://www.neces.com/