Re: Namespace issues + "contrib" module (was: [RFC] Gtk2::SizeRecall)

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 20:29:40 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
* Ross McFarland <rwmcfa1 neces com> [2004-05-17 15:06]:
we also need to watch namespace issues. while i don't think
there's danger of gtk+ adding something called SizeRecall we
probably ought to have a namespace dedicated for extra stuff to
ensure there won't be any such problems in the future.
thoughts?

It's a noble concern.

For some reason, as I thought about it, Gtk2Perl:: popped into
mind as a toplevel namespace. It's an awful name, aesthetically,
but I can't convince myself not to propose it, because it's so
utilitarian.

Perhaps we could leave the 2 out (just as Glib is just Glib), because
gtk-perl (gtk 1.2) had no such thing. It'd actualy be useful this way,
as then searching cpan for Gtk2Perl (or GtkPerl) would show all
available add-ons.

I'd suggest one more thing. Since many add-ons will be just a single
not-too-long file, it would be convenient for users if there was
a "contrib" module in Gtk2-Perl, containing various stuff posted. It
would for example greatly increase the chance to get packaged for
various distribution (the less packages, the less work for package
maintainer).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>