Re: Gtk2::Simple::* example/sample code

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 08:49, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
* Carl Nygard <cjnygard fast net> [2004-03-30 14:53]:
Not bored;)  Started with tied version.  Then realized that the
tied vars depend on the widgets being around and the var still
hooked to the widget.  My app has many instances of common set
of data, and the different instances get swapped in and out to
allow editing.  untie states that the original value of the var
gets restored upon untie, so swapping a new struct into place
blows the old away.  Hence the bind version, which stores
modifications as they happen.

In the case of SimpleList, it works because the tied thing is
separate from the widget. I think all SimpleFoo widgets *should*
be implemented in this fashion; and really, that's what your
bound version does, conceptually.

Thinking out loud from here on..

It would probably be best if there is one class that represents a
scalar and one for an array, both with a standard interface for
SimpleFoo widgets, where the widget attaches itself as a listener
for changes and also knows how to update the data store on
change.

To summarize, I think you're talking about implementing the equivalent
of the TreeModel/TreeStore for regular widgets.  Correct?  That
definitely sounds like derived widgets to me.

Regards,
Carl