Re: [RFC] Changing the bindings for gnome_popup_menu_append

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 22:24, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
Aloha,

as you probably have noticed, Pascal Giard brought up a nasty issue that
pops up if you use Gtk2 in conjunction with Gnome2 and try to call
$menu->append -- $menu being either a Gtk2::Menu or a Gtk2::MenuShell.

Since it works on a Gtk2::MenuShell and since I didn't know that
Gtk2::MenuShell::append exists, gnome_popup_menu_append was bound as
Gtk2::Menu::append.  Those two obviously collide.

So, without further ado, I hereby propose that the binding for
gnome_popup_menu_append be changed to

  Gnome2::PopupMenu::append($menu, $ui_info).

Code that uses $menu->append($ui_info) and expects to get
gnome_popup_menu_append would have to be changed.  I know that this is a
drastic step but I see no feasible alternative.

If you have good arguments that have not been considered or if you can
come up with a better way to handle this issue, please speak up now.
There is an API freeze coming on Monday and the problem has to be solved
by then.

what was the implemented solution the last time an issue like this was
found? didn't you change the bound name to like xxx_insert or something.
if that's the case then perhaps something similar will work/be best in
this situation. just a thought, i have no real objections to whatever
the solution is so long as it's documented.

-rm