Re: what to replace GtkList with for Gtk2::Combo

Quoting Ross McFarland <rwmcfa1 neces com>:

Chris Phillips said:
I've noticed that GtkList has now apparenlty been officially deprecated
in
Gtk2, but GtkCombo's have not been. and the Gtk2::Combo still says that
it
uses a GtkList. As Gtk2-perl apparently, and reasonably enough, is not
implementing any deprecated functionality I get an error from my program
trying to access list->clear_items, saying GtkList doesn't exist, and
falls
though to a GtkContainer, which naturally doesn't have hte clear_items
method.

How can a non-deprecated widget contain a deprecated one? am i missing
something? I'd be happy to use a GtkListStore but there appears to be no
way to use this within a dropdown box...

from what i can tell you are correct. i'll work up bindings for GtkList
here
in a few minutes that should provide the necessary functionality. i must
agree
that it seems odd to have a widget using a deprecated widget as one of it's
members. especially since it would seem a reasonable endeavor to convert
the
combo box's list member, but anyway...

i'll send out to the list when i get this done. if there's a reason not to
do
so someone speak up and let me know.

-rm

That's great Ross, thanks a lot. I found a few comments on the main gtk list
last year where the developers said that the GtkList will be around for a few
years yet as deprecated. and also gtk-2.4 is going to have a suitable permanent
replacement. in the meantime however we're stuck in limbo!

cheers

chris