Re: Some differences between Gtk and Gtk2

Dov,

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 09:04:41PM +0100, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
Dov Grobgeld <dov imagic weizmann ac il> writes:

1. Creation of new widgets and setting of their properties. In Gtk
   you can create a widget and set their properties in one call.

[...]

2. The signal::event property:

These are simply not implemented. The reason is that probably not
one had a use for it. As for me, I don't like this way of
creating objects (probably because I'm not familiar with them,
and that I've seen no code example using that style yet).

There is some in testgtk.pl that I slowly is porting from C to perl.
Patches are always welcome. Preferably with tests/examples.

3. The event->type names

   This should probably be considered a bug. The type names in Gtk are
   with underlines and in Gtk2 with minus characters. Btw, I liked having

Hum, the "type" field of events has no string substitutions, to
my knowledge..

   base types as hashes, as it meant you could easily print its "keys" to

gtk2 perl wrapper objects not as hashes is Goran's decision :).

It has been discussed before.
Data should be stored in 1 place only IMHO
duplication of data is slow and dangerous (gives buggy code).
Properties is stored in the GObjects before we even start
wrapping it so it's a no-brainer.
I experimented with tie but could not get tie and bless
working together.

I seem to recall that Gtk+ has builtin mechanisms for
listing properties.

Guillaume did not comment on the '-' vs '_' issue,
Gtk+ documentation says '-' so why use anything else?

regards,
---
göran