Re: new gtk2-perl

Quoting goran kirra net:

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 01:19:21PM +0200, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
muppet <scott asofyet org> writes:

As I mentioned last week or so[1], the non-perlish handling of
GObject
versus GtkObject references and GBoxed lifetimes and all that
stuff
really grated on my nerves, and I wanted to take a week or so to
play
around with ideas for handling it better.

[...]

I'm glad you pushed your ideas down to implementation. It's a
rather impressive work. Congratulations! That new gtk2-perl will
probably ease up the extensibility of the project - even if
stabilizing to the same level of usability that current gtk2-perl
should not be an easy task. Good luck for the future.

Me too.
I have always said that I would accept hard technical reasons not to
use inline while political reason would have no weight. Show me the
code,
and muppet did so! :-)

I think we should put muppet efforts in CVS f.ex. with the module name
"gtk2-perl-xs" and continue hacking in parallell modules.
If or when gtk2-perl-xs surpasses gtk2-perl in functionality and
stability
we can decide to switch the official releases to gtk2-perl-xs and
deprecate
the inline based module.

Thoughts?

happy hacking
/göran

The only concern I have with a pure XS implementation is the spector of Perl 6.
 The rumour is that XS will be ditched in Perl 6 in favor of Inline::C.  Of
course Perl 6 looks to be a year or two in the future and will probably require
a complete rewrite of the module(s) anyway so my fears are probably moot.