From: John Ralls [mailto:jralls ceridwen us]
Sent: 21 January 2020 20:08
To: David Cooke
Cc: gtk-osx-users-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [gtk-osx-users] gtk2 failing to build + no pangoft2

On Jan 19, 2020, at 12:43 PM, David Cooke <djcooke wintree plus com>
wrote:

Having amended your earlier advice, I ran the following:

rm -r $PREFIX
rm -r $PREFIX/../.cache

jhbuild bootstrap-gtk-osx
jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap icu meta-gtk-osx-freetype
meta-gtk-osx-core

Now, as before, gtk fails to build, failing at gdkaliasdef.c with the
message:

aliases are not supported on darwin

I'd be very glad if you would be kind enough to advise what is the next
thing I should bother to do.

For the record, I have found no modulesets-stable directory on disk.  I
found gtk-osx-bootstrap.modules in $PREFIX/../.cache/jhbuild

The modulesets aren't on your local disk unless you clone the repo.

The Gimp developer knew about the aliasing problem but thought it was local
to his system so he didn't tell me, and since my projects are Gtk3-based I
seldom build Gtk2 anymore. Testing showed that it first occurred with Xcode
8 on 10.12 so it's been around for a while.

It turns out that there's a simple solution, just add --disable-visibility
to autopen-args. I've made that change and pushed it so you should be able
to build now. If you're sitting at an error prompt you'll need to quit and
restart jhbuild to get the new module.