Re: [gtk-osx-devel] Bison 3 and WebKit

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 11:20 AM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 27, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

>> > Yes, I think that would be wise.
>> >
>> > How about just “webkit” and “webkit2” so that app modulesets don’t break gratuitously?
>> >
>> > Actually what I meant was keeping the existing one, and adding two more. All the APIs and version numbers are confusing but here's everything I'm proposing in a nutshell:
>> >
>> > - WebKit - WebKitGTK 1.x, WebKit 1 API, works with GTK 2.x (could be built for GTK 3.x but let's not bother)
>> > - webkit1gtk - WebKitGTK 2.4.x, WebKit 1 API, works with GTK 3.x
>> > - webkit2gtk - WebKitGTK >2.6, WebKit 2 API, works with GTK 3.x
>> >
>> > I picked "webkit2gtk" because that's what the pkg-config file calls itself and "webkit1gtk" in analogy to that. (Actually webkit1gtk's pkg-config file is called "webkitgtk" so that might be better for consistency but a more confusing name.)
>>
>> Ah, got it.
>>
>> Could we use ‘webkit[12]gtk3’ to make it clear that they’re gtk3-only?
>>
>> That aside, the only way to deal with the confusion is to comment each module with what it’s for.
>>
>> Done, pull request here: https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/pull/32
>
> Yeah, saw that, I’ll make comments on the pull request.
>

>> I still get an error building libsoup, only on modulesets-unstable. I worked around it by adding --disable-introspection to libsoup's autogenargs in my local configuration file, since I assume it's a temporary problem. I haven't yet had time to pinpoint where it came from, though. Have you seen this before at all?
>>
>>   GISCAN   Soup-2.4.gir
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/bin/g-ir-scanner", line 55, in <module>
>>     sys.exit(scanner_main(sys.argv))
>>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 517, in scanner_main
>>     ss = create_source_scanner(options, args)
>>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 430, in create_source_scanner
>>     ss.parse_files(filenames)
>>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 256, in parse_files
>>     self._parse(headers)
>>   File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 302, in _parse
>>     proc.stdin.write('#ifndef %s\n' % (define, ))
>> IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
>> make[3]: *** [Soup-2.4.gir] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> No, but I haven’t tried building libsoup in unstable recently. Looks like a g-ir-scanner bug, though. Someone changed the format to use only one arg and screwed up by forgetting to remove the comma in the now-single-member tuple.

I hit it too, and gobject-introspection now won’t build, even though it all built fine a couple of days ago. That bit of code is trying to feed input to the C compiler over stdin, and the stdin pipe is closing or perhaps failing to open. I caught the exception and ran proc.communicate(); stdout was empty and stderr was None.

I did a little more digging too. I printed out the command line that the C compiler was being spawned with, ran it manually; it seemed to accept the input that I thought the code was feeding to it.

But I cleared out my src and inst directories for that tree and rebuilt from scratch (python, meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap, meta-gtk-osx-gtk3, webkit2gtk3) and it built libsoup without complaining. Something is borking g-ir-scanner along the way somewhere, but I don’t know what.

Same here.

Didn’t build webkit2gtk3, though. Didn’t even start, because WebKitGtk seems to have dumped autotools in favor of cmake. That was a git build. I’ll try a stable version next.

webkit1gtk3 and webkit2gtk3 definitely won't work in that pull request; that's just what I renamed the svn and git versions to. In retrospect I'm not sure that's a great idea especially for webkit1gtk3, because 2.4.x won't build without a bunch of patches.

I was trying webkit2gtk3 today on stable and it looks like they removed support for the Quartz target from the cmake build system. Uh oh.

--
Philip