Re: [gtk-osx-devel] Bison 3 and WebKit

On Dec 14, 2014, at 10:14 PM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:05 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:
> The upgrade of Bison to version 3 which you graciously provided breaks the WebKit build, which you also graciously provided. ISTR that you mumbled something about working on building a newer WebKit version. Are you?
>
> Yes! It's been a bit pre-empted by other stuff, but I am still working on building WebKit 2.4.7. What is it about Bison 3 that breaks the old build?
[log]
Moving ~/.local/bin/bison out of the way, so that it uses the one Apple ships (v.2.3), clears the problem.

I've got something almost working for modulesets-stable on the update-webkit branch of ptomato/gtk-osx-build: https://github.com/ptomato/gtk-osx-build/tree/update-webkit

There's one thing left I can't figure out. The build stalls while linking libWebCoreSVG.la. ranlib prints out reams of complaints about object files having no symbols, although, that seems to be normal in itself. Then it stalls at a point where the last two are repeats of the two before that:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libWebCoreSVG.a(libWebCoreSVG_la-CachedSVGDocumentReference.o) has no symbols
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libWebCoreSVG.a(libWebCoreSVG_la-JSSVGZoomAndPan.o) has no symbols
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libWebCoreSVG.a(libWebCoreSVG_la-CachedSVGDocumentReference.o) has no symbols
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ranlib: file: .libs/libWebCoreSVG.a(libWebCoreSVG_la-JSSVGZoomAndPan.o) has no symbols

And sits there for >25 minutes, maxing out one CPU - at that point I killed it. Restarting the build completed with no problem. If you wipe the source directory and build again from scratch, it stalls again. I'm curious if anyone else has this problem.

Also, if you're waiting on this module to be buildable again, I can submit a pull request that only updates modulesets-stable while I work on the other two modulesets.

Does using `make -j1` change anything?

I’ll pull it and give it a try later today. If all else fails we can just disable SVG.

I just deleted Bison 3 after bootstrapping, so it’s not holding anything up for me. That doesn’t help anyone who needs both gstreamer and WebKit, though. Maybe bison 2.7.1 would work for both.

Regards,
John Ralls