Re: [gtk-osx-devel] Bison 3 and WebKit

On Dec 27, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 9:11 AM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:04 AM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 21, 2014, at 9:09 PM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

>> [...] should I perhaps keep the old WebKit 1.x module intact, and instead add a new one for webkitgtk 2.x? I might have to add a new one anyway since webkitgtk 2.x has discontinued the old WebKit 1 single-process API, and a lot of apps still depend on it. How about two new modules named webkit1gtk and webkit2gtk?
>
> Yes, I think that would be wise.
>
> How about just “webkit” and “webkit2” so that app modulesets don’t break gratuitously?
>
> Actually what I meant was keeping the existing one, and adding two more. All the APIs and version numbers are confusing but here's everything I'm proposing in a nutshell:
>
> - WebKit - WebKitGTK 1.x, WebKit 1 API, works with GTK 2.x (could be built for GTK 3.x but let's not bother)
> - webkit1gtk - WebKitGTK 2.4.x, WebKit 1 API, works with GTK 3.x
> - webkit2gtk - WebKitGTK >2.6, WebKit 2 API, works with GTK 3.x
>
> I picked "webkit2gtk" because that's what the pkg-config file calls itself and "webkit1gtk" in analogy to that. (Actually webkit1gtk's pkg-config file is called "webkitgtk" so that might be better for consistency but a more confusing name.)

Ah, got it.

Could we use ‘webkit[12]gtk3’ to make it clear that they’re gtk3-only?

That aside, the only way to deal with the confusion is to comment each module with what it’s for.

Yeah, saw that, I’ll make comments on the pull request.

I still get an error building libsoup, only on modulesets-unstable. I worked around it by adding --disable-introspection to libsoup's autogenargs in my local configuration file, since I assume it's a temporary problem. I haven't yet had time to pinpoint where it came from, though. Have you seen this before at all?

  GISCAN   Soup-2.4.gir
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/bin/g-ir-scanner", line 55, in <module>
    sys.exit(scanner_main(sys.argv))
  File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 517, in scanner_main
    ss = create_source_scanner(options, args)
  File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/scannermain.py", line 430, in create_source_scanner
    ss.parse_files(filenames)
  File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 256, in parse_files
    self._parse(headers)
  File "/Users/fliep/gtk/inst/lib/gobject-introspection/giscanner/sourcescanner.py", line 302, in _parse
    proc.stdin.write('#ifndef %s\n' % (define, ))
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
make[3]: *** [Soup-2.4.gir] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

No, but I haven’t tried building libsoup in unstable recently. Looks like a g-ir-scanner bug, though. Someone changed the format to use only one arg and screwed up by forgetting to remove the comma in the now-single-member tuple.

Regards,
John Ralls