Re: Cross-compiling GTK+, missing icons

Thanks for your answers.

Hi, maybe your previous thread was one that I initiated.  The reply was nogo or use a docker.  I'm wondering if you managed to generate a Win.exe that ran without loading any extras on all versions of windows?  I'm sure what I was doing would work only with the exact compile version even on the same distro version.

Yes, I managed to build self-contained Windows executables (using GTK+ 2) that don't need any additional resources to be installed. Just download the file and run it. I tested with Windows XP and 7, but I expect them to work on newer Windows versions too. For example see here: http://www.nongnu.org/galois/#download

Icons, among other resources, are missing from the source itself and have to be "shipped" outside of the libraries in 'share\icons\STYLE', next to executable. I believe this is mandatory as of now.

Uhm. I'm sure there were good reasons, but this looks like a regression to me. Given that some icons are a required part of standard widgets (for example GtkSpinButton won't display properly without them), I'd expect that a fallback be always available.

Windows PE executables have a nice feature where there's a resource
section which is by convention used for strings and also graphics like
the program's icons. This is common and natural on Windows, so if you
can load the file dynamically at runtime and set icons explicitly,
then provided your cross compiler is able to include the needed PE
section, you can build a self-contained file which is one .exe with
all the needed code and data/resources. This feature of PE files
is as old as Windows itself and will work, if that's a concern of
yours, if you can generate the desired .exe and can convince
GTK+ to load stuff at runtime manually.

I'll ask whether that is supported.

This looks like a good solution to me. But instead of placing the icons
in external files you (I'm talking to John) may be also interested in
GResource framework [1] which does a similar thing like Windows resources,
that means embeds images and other data files inside the executable file
but is not based on Windows API.

It looks like that would suit my needs too.

Thank you all again.
Gerardo