Re: Eliminate the warning Allocating size to GtkWindow without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_size/height

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Timm Bäder <mail baedert org> wrote:

Those warnings usually come from
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/gtkwindow.c?h=gtk-3-22#n9744

The output you're seeing is from gtkwidget.c and inside a
#ifdef G_ENABLE_DEBUG guard. G_ENABLE_DEBUG gets defined when
--disable-debug is NOT passed to the GTK+ build. A few of the warnings
in gtk+ have been put into #ifdef G_ENABLE_CONSISTENCY_CHECKS guards
instead, which is only defined when --enable-debug is explicitly passed
to the build.

I'm in a similar situation as the Devil's Jester in that I try to use the precompiled binaries  provided by my distros to maintain compatibility with my system.

Also, in this particular case, I really feel that the warning is produced by the underlying gtk system.  In the code I provided, the toplevel window is a given size; when I expand the TreeStore, I do not expect to resize containing ScrolledWindow or the toplevel window.  All this should be handled internally, should it not?  Additionally, the fact that the warning is not issued when expanding the first group causes the list to exceed the height of the window does seem to be an inconsistency and appears to be an error in the code itself.

If you can come up with a patch, I'm sure it would be merged.

I'm not sure I'm competent to be working on Gtk itself.