Re: splitting an App between Glade files?

Hi;

On 10 March 2015 at 23:40, Patrick <patrick spellingbeewinnars org> wrote:

Thanks for your excellent suggestion. I am still reading through the
reference manual on this and don't fully understand it but I may have hit an
issue.

I need to deploy on Windows as well and I believe this means I have to stick
with 2.24, I don't know if i can build composite widgets thorough XML in
2.X, it appears that I cannot.

Yes, GTK+ 2.x does not support template composite widgets, but you
don't need to use GTK+ 2.x on Windows; GTK+ 3.x works fine on that
platform. You'll probably need to build it locally in order to ship
DLLs and an installer:

https://blogs.gnome.org/nacho/2014/08/01/how-to-build-your-gtk-application-on-windows/

If I found a suitable XML parser, do you think I could write my application
in various Glade files, each with it's own top level window and then call
gtk_builder_add_from_string() with XML code parsed from beneath the top
level?

Yes, you can have multiple files, and you can merge them all together
inside the same GtkBuilder instance — even without using strings. You
can have multiple GtkBuilder instances as well. I'd rather suggest you
use the GResource API in GIO, to bundle your UI description with your
binary.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.