Re: How to style a GtkLabel with CSS

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Stefan Salewski <mail ssalewski de> wrote:
On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 23:13 +0000, Gulshan Singh wrote:
I actually asked in #gtk+ on Freenode, but didn't get any response. I
asked
again on the GNOME server, and I got an answer that worked:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30791670/how-to-style-a-gtklabel-with-css/30813433#30813433

That link is StackOverflow, not GNOME!

Fine that it works for you now. My feeling was, that
gtk_style_context_add_provider_for_screen() affects not only your
application, but all GTK applications on that screen?

No. This is a misnomer. For historical reasons, a "GDK Screen" simply
refers to the place where windows are created from. You connect to a
"display", which is a display server which has multiple "screens", and
each "screen" allows you to create windows on it.

Calling gtk_style_context_add_provider_for_screen tells it to affect
all windows that your process creates, on that screen. It will not
affect other processes' windows.

It is confusing, though, I will admit. If we were to redesign GDK (or
X11) today, we wouldn't use the confusing "display" / "screen"
terminology.