Re: Gtk+ 3.0 and MS Windows

2011/3/23 Mikhail Titov <mlt gmx us>:
> Maarten:
>
> Thanks for the link! By saying that I don't have OpenSUSE I implied that I'd have to either use `alien` (with possible complication if any) or build it myself on Ubuntu.

If you like, I have a python script (that works on both Linux and
Windows) that downloads a package with all dependencies and extracts
the binaries. Combined with the OBS automatically building the latest
packages, it makes keeping your Windows program up to date quite easy.

> I see there is even binary package for gtkmm2.99 hopefully they will move to 3.0 soon.

AFAIK 2.99 is the latest release for gtkmm sofar.

> The weird point is that, when I try to build under MS Windows, I keep getting useless (without anything between DECLS block) gdk/gdkenumtypes.h even if I delete gdk/stamp-gdkenumtypes.h and rerun make though gtk/gtktypebuiltins.h looks fine.

IIRC that file is autogenerated. This is one of the reasons building
on Windows is more difficult: you have to have (the correct version
of) all kind of tools on the build host installed, and that's easier
with Linux package management.

> Oh well, all looks like cross-comiplation is the only option for now.
>
> I don't know if there are many users developing with Gtk+ on MS Windows, but it would be nice to at least make a link to that OpenSUSE archive as there are no traces of binary package (even unofficial) on the main page for Gtk+ 3.0.

That would be the call of Tor Lillqvist. He builds and manages the
zipped binaries on ftp.gnome.org. He did mention some time ago that
eventuallyt he'd like to switch to OBS for providing the 'official'
gnome binaries. May he's getting tired of keeping his msys install
running too ;-). He's also active on the mingw project on the
buildservice, so he is in a good place to decide.

> Mikhail

Maarten