RE: Question about GTK+ and timers

I guess the main point it should just work for x86 and certain ARM
architecture. Everything else doesn't matter, including efficiency,
especially if one side is already implemented in a particular way.

Yes, structure packing is compiler-specific. In case of Visual C++ one uses
#pragma, but I feel like OP uses gcc in both cases. So here comes the syntax
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.0/gcc/Type-Attributes.html#Type-Attrib
utes

I just learned that ARM is bi-endian and can be set up either way. Haven't
ever had to deal with these creatures. And that is what endianness is
usually about. If you are unlucky the order of 2 bytes of m_voltageMask may
be incorrect, in this case you would receiver char[10] first, reverse it,
and have a packed structure defined with the inverse order of members. See
also http://linux.die.net/man/3/htons .

Mikhail