Re: shrink GTK+ disk usage for Windows

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:23 AM,  <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:
> On 30 March 2010 18:04, Andrew Ziem <ahz001 gmail com> wrote:
>> How can I shrink GTK+ binaries?
>>
>> I develop a simple, cross-platform PyGTK app (BleachBit) and include
>> GTK+ 2.16 binaries in my Windows installer.  Compared to my app itself
>> and the Python runtime, GTK+ is huge.
>
> I just had a look at my project's win32 zip, and it looks like the
> complete gtk 2.18 stack is just under 6MB, including cairo, pango,
> treetype and friends and a theme engine (I'm shipping clearlooks at
> the moment, for some reason).
>
> It's probably possible to shrink that a bit more, perhaps by stripping
> symbols from the files more aggressively.

Wow, using Linux 'strip -v bin/*' cuts the bin directory from 16M to
9.3M!  After UPX, it's down to 3.9M (compare to 7.8MB below).

Any other tips? :)

> What's your current size?

This is the size compressed with UPX, but the language files aren't
compressed (the way I mentioned in my original post).

$ du -hcs ??? manifest/ share/
7.8M    bin
44K     etc
752K    lib
56K     manifest/
24M     share/         <--- giant local files
33M     total

The numbers above are for GTK 2.16.6 downloaded as binary from
http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html .

Andrew