From: Lex Trotman [mailto:elextr gmail com]
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 3:20 PM
To: Randy
Subject: [!! SPAM] Re: when will the "realize"&"unrealize" signals be emitted?

On 26 March 2010 17:39, Randy <randyqiuxy hotmail com> wrote:

Hi list,
I know a widget will realized,mapped and visible before it appears on
the screen.Then,
1)
But who can tell me what it actually does during the three periods?
2)
when the "unrealize" signal emission happens? And what the correspond
callback does?
Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Randy

IIUC

In short:

realize, acquire/create the resources required for the widget, in particular the backend window and resources, unrealize obviously releases them, some settings and queries that involve the backend can't be made until the window is realized.

mapped, the backend window is positioned on the backend screen, now it may be visible and can get expose events so it can draw itself.
gtk_widget_show realizes (it its not already done) and maps a widget, but of course all its parent containers that control its positioning must also be mapped, before it can actually be mapped.  gtk_widget_hide unmaps.

visible, mapped and not covered by some other window, expose events cause it to draw itself

Cheers
Lex