How to change the height of the top window from a program?

The top window has a menu and a single textview. This window uses all of the available area on the screen, but sometimes it has to make room for a dialog window that that needs to be just below. When the dialog window is no longer needed the top window should expand and reclaim the space at the bottom.

I want to do this by reducing and increasing the height of the top window by the program, but I cannot make it work.

Setting top window:
[code]
   gtk_window_set_title (GTK_WINDOW (window), title );
   gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, wdavail, htsrcwnd ); // request works
   gtk_window_move ( (GtkWindow *)window, 0 , 0 );   //  works
   gtk_widget_show_all (window);
[/code]

Reducing height of top window:
[code]
  gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, wdavail, reducedheight );  // request ignored
[/code]
So, the height of the top window remains as initialised.

I can destroy window by gtk_widget_destroy and then recreate another top window with reduced height and then place the dialog window at the bottom. However, this is ugly and irritating because the top window destroy and immediate recreate are clearly visible.

How can I make the transition a bit smoother?

Get your new Email address!