Re: when will the "realize"&"unrealize" signals be emitted?

realize and unrealize are called to allocate underlying GdkWindow resources
(i.e. windowing system backend resources) for the widgets.

Widgets can be unmapped at which point they will be unrealized, they can
be unmapped in order to move windows from one X screen to another X screen
for example, or when widgets are destroyed they are unrealized.

A widget must be visible and anchored in order to be mapped, a mapped widget
will be realized.

The user controls visibility, whether the widget is anchored means whether it's
inside a toplevel GtkWindow and finally, mapped is controlled by the container
implementation - i.e. a GtkNotebook decides to map its children on demand only
the first time they are shown.

Cheers,
           -Tristan