Re: Glib cross compilation

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, David Nečas <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:

> From: David Nečas <yeti physics muni cz>
> Subject: Re: Glib cross compilation
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <sergstesh yahoo com>
> Cc: gtk-list gnome org
> Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 3:15 AM
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 06:17:01PM
> -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > I'd consider the necessity to create .cache file
> manually as a bug.
>
> I consider your definition of bug weird.
>
> > I.e. from the document it's clear that for the
> majority of target OSes
> > good defaults are the same, and for others they are
> though different, but
> > know.
> >
> > So, 'configure' should create such a file
> automatically, and only if
> > automatically created file is wrong, user should
> specify .cache file on
> > 'configure' command line.
>
> It would be definitely nice if the developers of all
> packages have
> detailed knowledge of all platforms people might
> cross-compile their
> software for and maintained a database of configuration
> values for these
> platforms in the package.  But that they don't is
> hardly a *bug*.
>
> To include such thing in the package someone who actually
> cross-compiles
> it must come and offer the known working confiuration for a
> specific
> platform.  Did you and was it rejected?
>
> Moreover, the only way to tell that a configuration value
> is wrong is to
> deploy to the target platform and verify the behaviour
> there.  Which
> means you should revise the config in any case.
>
> Yeti

I'm still saying it's a bug - a usability one.

For example, a very well known company in EDA demands from end user to both
specify a command line option and to set an environment variable in order
to make their tool to wait for a license.

It's a usability bug which was worked around by a wrapper script setting both - in real life it's hard to imagine that one would like the tool to
fail because of no available at the moment license.

So, again, the bug is that no best effort is attempted by 'configure' by
default.

Regards,
  Sergei.